We fixed it!
When we were starting up the 3D printer, we realized that the hole in the filament roll was too large for the filament holder, so that the roll scraped the top of the printer which stopped it from spinning. To overcome this, we created a tube out of a rolled commercial magazine and some duct tape, which we used with filament holder to increase its size. This way, the filament was able to spin properly.
This is the tube we created as a dirty hack:
This is how we used it inside of the filament:
And here is the dirty hack in action:
This blog post is a submission for the I fixed it! badge.